Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tripe Schmipe

OK!   I did it!  I finally tried the tripe stew (Mondongo) that my friend, Evelyn raves about.  We frequently order Spanish food from this little joint in New Britain, CT for lunch at work.  So far, I've loved everything I've tried....but was terrified of the Mondongo ;o)  Something about cow's stomach is just a little bit scary for those of us who weren't raised with it LOL.


So anyway, Evelyn ordered it yesterday & I had promised her that I would at least try a bite.  Amazingly (to me), it wasn't half bad.  The tripe really doesn't have much taste to it at all, it kind of takes on the flavors that it's cooked in.  I think, for most people, the texture would be the biggest thing.  A little rubbery, but once you get used to it, its OK.  The stew was full of carrots, potatoes (or yucca...I couldn't tell) & was in a wonderful tomato-y broth.  I don't know if I'll ever develop the deep love of it that Evelyn has, but I wouldn't mind a small bowl once in a while.




So thank you Evelyn & Andrew Zimmern (I'm a huge fan of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel) for convincing me to expand my culinary appetite and try something new!








Faerie GothMother's Corner...
If we aren't meant to have late night snacks, why is there a light in the fridge??

No comments:

Post a Comment